Friday, April 13, 2012

Spring/Summer Palette Challenge

I am so excited that I will be joining in the fun of the Spring/Summer palette challenge hosted by Colette patterns. I had a hard time with the Fall palette challenge.  It was hard to stay motivated since we do not have much of a fall in California and I also suffered from time constraints, material shortages and the like.  Not this time!

Spring time in California is gorgeous!  And I have been itching to get out in the sunshine in beautiful sun dresses and shorts! So, I decided that I would sew 4 sun dresses, a summery capelet, 3 pairs of shorts and a blouse to go with each pair of shorts!  It sounds like quite the feat but the shorts will be made out of the same pattern with just some simple modifications and most of the patterns are rated as beginner.

Here is the inspirational/mood board that I put together. My inspirations are a little bit vintage, rockabilly, one part romantic, and a little bit modern.



Here are the patterns/fabric I will be using:

1. Truffle in a mint and white polka dot cotton.  I believe this is a voile or lawn as it is very light weight.  I am lining the entire dress in a white cotton batiste.  This was a purchase back in December from my trip to Portland.  This garment is also part of the Sew Colette Sew along I have been participating in.  I am behind - just a little as this was March's garment but I will be finishing it here for the 1st week of this challenge.

2. Hazel  in pink and white striped cotton.  I have two yards exactly of this fabric so I may need to get creative.  My thought is to add in and eyelet to the bodice triangle but I still want to feature some nice stripe action!  This was also a fabric that I picked up on my trip last trip to Portland

3. Hazel #2 I saw Gertie in this beautiful green and purple floral print from Ascher studios and I nearly swooned!  I had to have this fabric and thought it would make a perfect Hazel!  By the way, I realized that Gertie is like the Kate Middleton of the sewing world!  I wasn't the only one calling in/coming in to get this fabric after having seen it on Gertie's blog and they were nearly out!

4. Lily  in a lovely lilac twill.

5. Iris x 3 in pale pink, sunny yellow, and bright mint twills! I plan to add cute buttons and maybe even scalloped edges to at least a pair of these!

6.  Taffy in a beautiful yellow and white polka dot blouse weight cotton.  This is also part of the Sew Colette Sew along!

7.  Violet in this beautiful Nani Iro floral print.

8. Vintage Advance 8339 version 1 in a mint and white striped shirting.

9. Butterick B5032 the sun dress capelet in a white daisy lawn.

** I do have a bonus garment! The Licorice which is also part of the Sew Colette challenge.  I didn't include it in my palette because I have not been able to chose a fabric!




1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see it all! I love those colors, unfortuantely I find pastels don't flatter me much.

    ReplyDelete